3 Commando was nicknamed "the Lovers", or sometimes "the green machine", the latter coming from the green jerseys its men wore in intra-regimental sporting competitions. The "Lovers" nickname emerged during the mid-1960s, and had its origin in the off-duty reputation of its soldiers, who were reportedly very popular amongst the young women of Salisbury. This reputation also contributed to the design chosen for the Commando emblem and flag in 1968, during Operation Cauldron.
As the Commando's "Lovers" had not yet seen action on Operation Cauldron, Captain Spike Powell and Lieutenant Chris Pearce suggested that a more suitable emblem than anything military might be a banana. The banana was adopted, and the Commando's insignia became a numeral "3", emblazoned on a banana, with the word "Lovers" above and the designation "Commando" beneath, all on a green shield. This emblem endured for the rest of the RLI's history.
This shirt is printed in the U.S.A. on 100% cotton garments and satisfaction is guaranteed.
All our garments are comfortable, top quality comfort Soft 6.1 oz Tees.
- size S : Length 28", Width 18"
- size M : Length 29", Width 20"
- size L : Length 30", Width 22"
- size XL : Length 31", Width 24"
- size 2XL : Length 32", Width 26"
- size 3XL : Length 33", Width 28"
- size 4XL : Length 34", Width 30"
- size 5XL : Length 35", Width 32"
Handling and shipping time
I ship within 2-3 business days of cleared payment, and 1st class Shipping within the US is included in sales price.
Shipping time :
- USA : 4-5 business days
- Canada : 7-10 business days
- Worldwide : 10-15 business days